A description of Lexington from 1874:
"LEXINGTON, the county seat, situated on the high and healthful bluffs of the Missouri River, and on the L. & St. L. R. R., 55 miles from Sedalia, and 244 miles from St. Louis, was settled by A. and W. Owens from North Carolina, in the year 1817, and was laid off by Commissioners James Bounds, John Dustan and James Lillard; the city charter was obtained March 5th, 1855. This is one of the most beautiful cities of the State; the streets are broad and adorned with shade trees, chiefly maple, and the residences are built with taste, and usually surrounded with beautiful flowers and shrubbery, while the business houses are substantial and commodious. Lexington was long the commercial center of the western portion of the State, until the construction of the M. P. R. R. so cut off the trade as to render it now dependent upon the country contiguous to it, but its healthy location, its great educational advantages and its inexhaustible coal fields must always make it an important place. It contains 3 public schools, to one of which a high school is attached; 10 teachers are employed who have the care of 605 pupils. There is also a public school for colored children, employing 4 teachers and having an attendance of 240 scholars. There are 3 seminaries for young ladies, also 1 private high school for boys and 1 private school. There are 12 churchesóCatholic, M. E. Ch., South Presbyterian, Presbyterian (O. S.), Cumberland Presbyterian, Baptist, Christian, Episcopal, German Methodist, 2 colored Methodist and 1 colored Baptist, also 3 newspapersó The Caucasian, edited and published by Ethan Allen, Hon. J. T. Child and W. G. Musgrove, The Intelligencer, published by the Intelligencer Pub. Co., M. A. Steele, editor, and The Register, published by H. W. Turner; Col. Mark L. DeMotte and C. B. Wilson, editors; 4 banks and about 70 stores. Population, about 6,000." (from Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, R. A. Campbell, St. Louis, 1874)
Founded: Incorporated in 1822
Lexington is the county seat of Lafayette County, Missouri
Population (2000 Census): 4,453
Two or more races: 1.2%
Zip Code: 64067
Area Code: 660
The Missouri River is the north border of Lafayette County.
Lexington is located on the northern border of Lafayette County, about 50 miles east of Kansas City.
Click on the links below to explore other areas:
This site features a growing collection of more than 375 Arkansas Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Massachusetts Missouri North Carolina Ohio Tennessee Texas County History and Genealogy titles. Click on the links above or the navigation buttons on the upper left sidebar to view other titles available. Click on the SEARCH tab to search our entire inventory.
* * * * *
Would you like to be notified of new publications, new features, upcoming genealogy conferences, plus exclusive special offers and promotions available only to our newsletter subscribers?
Subscribers to our FREE newsletter are always the first to know!
Do you enjoy History and Genealogy? Visit: The Lives of Our Ancestors
Do you like free? Check out the FREE genealogy and map resources at My Genealogy Hound
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.